Monday, November 1, 2010

Transition Season and a Rollerski Weekend




The final weeks of dryland training are now rolling by. This time of year is very important for the racing of the season. The training is generally hard and very specific, things like biathlon and XC time trials, rollerski and shooting combination training and ski specific strength dominate the training plan. With specific training in mind the MWSC Biathlon and Cross Country Teams made the trip south to North Haven Island for the Lobster Roll, a rollerski race put on by MWSC for the college ski teams of Maine. North Haven Island is an hour ferry ride from Rockland Maine. The race was 15k interval start around most of the island. I was very fortunate to ski with a good group of skiers for most of the race. The flat course wasn’t well suited to me, but I found I have made some good improvements in my high speed skate technique, and overall ski fitness. I was 4th overall and happy with my effort. After the Lobster Roll the team and I headed further south to New Gloucester Maine for the Southern Maine Biathlon Club’s rollerski race/fundraiser Eyes on the Pies. The race was a great rolling 10k through Pineland Farms, a cool corporate retreat and farming facility. I felt good during the race and put in a good effort. The highlight of the race was my taking a high speed crash on a fast downhill corner (Video to come!). I wasn’t hurt and made a great effort to prevent going down. From here I have 2 more weeks in Maine until I head to Canmore Alberta Canada for the first skiing of the year. Hopefully Canmore looks like the picture when I arrive, because it is pretty brown now...

No comments:

Post a Comment