Monday, June 13, 2016

Until Now

So far, the year 2016 has been filled with highs and lows. This is not an attempt to be cliché, rather the best way I can describe the events which have transpired over the past 6 months. Instead of creating a dense narrative update, I am going to share a timeline of images with brief explanatory captions. The purpose of this strategy is twofold, first I am (justifiably) burnt out on creating long pieces of writing, second, I hope by employing this tactic this update will actually be a bit interesting.
Here we go:

January and February
I completed my final year of EISA racing with my teammates. My carnival campaign was largely unsuccessful, but I was able to put together enough decent races to qualify for NCAAs.

March
I was very happy to qualify for the NCAA Championships, unfortunately I posted two very poor results. Aside from subpar (at best) racing I really enjoyed all other aspects of the trip.


April
I used the month of April to live like a “normal” college student. No photos from this month are in my possession. This may be for the better.
During the month of April I seriously considered my relationship with skiing and biathlon. Many people asked me what my plans where after my upcoming graduation from UNH. “Internship?” “Assistant coaching job?” “9 to 5?” “Biathlon?” I made the decision to continue my career as an athlete, with a focus on biathlon.

May
On the eve of the new training year I was struck by a police car while riding my bike through a major intersection on the UNH campus. This caused me to lose some days of training. Fortunately, I have yet to suffer any serious complications from this incident.



 I trained as well as I could while recovering from the crash finishing out my academic responsibilities and fighting off a persistent cough. During this period, I was informed by 3 of the 4 ski clubs I had applied to that they would not be offering me a place on their team for the coming training year. I am awaiting a reply from the final club.  

At the end of the month I graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a B.A. in Communication. I was also honored with a few academic awards. I was humbled by the recognition I received. I would like to thank my family, professors, coaches and teammates for their help and support.






After my graduation I headed home and became quite ill. I lost another week of training.



June
After an antibiotic enabled recovery, I put in my first good week of training this year, only to become ill once again. I am currently on antibiotics to treat suspected Lyme disease. During my recovery I have been watching the Copa America, Euro 2016, and NBA Finals.



A few days ago my trusty Subaru wagon has been showing signs that its predicted demise may be very close at hand.  


While I am at home, I will have the privilege to work with James Upham. James is an excellent coach and I look forward to training with him if I am ever healthy for a few consecutive days. I will continue to follow a plan written by my longtime coach and supporter Bill Meyer from the Nisswa Northwest Biathlon Club.  I have also secured a place to shoot near my home which is a big step forward.

Looking ahead I will continue to obsessively check my email for a resolution to my final club application and pursue a part time jobs so I can buy some bullets to practice with.

I am optimistic that despite this rough start, I can still find success this winter.



1 comment:

  1. A predictable post-stress physical collapse, but man, the honors! Congratulations as your hard work in the classroom has paid off handsomely. We'll be waiting to hear which team you choose and what comes next!

    ReplyDelete