Friday, June 5, 2009

Travel NIGHTMARE!

My day started with a 3:45 am departure from my house to the Minneapolis (MSP)airport. I got to the airport a little later than I would have liked, but I figured, big deal I have an early flight. When I arrived at the security point with my rifle I was informed by the TSA that my lock had fallen off. This began the cascade of hassles that defined my trip. Fortunately the TSA guys where really helpful found a lock to put on my case. I cleared security just in time to hear the final boarding call for my flight to Boston. I sprinted to the gate and barely made my first flight. After an uneventful flight from MSP to Boston a got a call from my mother that I only had 15 minutes to make my connecting flight. I was one again running. This time over to terminal B at the Boston/Logan airport. After checking in I realized my flight left at 1:10 not 11:00. After clearing security at the US Air terminal I settled in for my layover. After an hour of people watching and general spacing out I was paged at the gate. A thick Boston accent on the other end of the phone introduced himself as Tom from the TSA. Tom informed me that my rifle had not been checked through and my case didn't have a lock!! I ran back to terminal A and met Tom and his colleges at the baggage check in. I learned that the lock that had been put on in MSP had fallen off, my baggage had been sent to the baggage claim instead of my connecting flight, and my rifle had been unlocked in public for about an hour. ARRRGG!! After confering with the TSA officers I bought two locks and attached them to my case. (After 15min of trying to figure out how to set the combination) After this ordeal I few to Presque Isle Maine. When I arrived I got my ski bag, but no rifle case. After all that they didn't even put my case on the plane! I am currently settled in at the Mayo's house in Soldier Pond about 30 minutes from Fort Kent. My rib is doing better and if I have a rifle I will be doing a shooting workout tomorrow. Let the summer begin!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, haha. That's quite a start to your trip. Hope your rib feels better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Your father found your lock in the airport parking garage when he returned to the car. . .

    ReplyDelete