Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Getting Specific


Last week I returned to Fort Kent for a quick 4 day camp, focusing on combination training (skiing and shooting) and precision shooting without physical stress. Luckily, I wasn’t the only one in Fort Kent that weekend; my camp coincided with the Maine Team Camp, which brought together the best high school age skiers in Maine, and the Southern Maine Biathlon Club Junior Camp. It was easy to keep the energy and motivation levels high with so many eager young athletes around, though I will admit I felt a bit old. I also had the opportunity to train with Russell Currier, a member of the National Team, with multiple top 10 World Cup results. It was great to see how I compared with Russell, and see where I can improve.  
In total I shot just over 900 rounds in 4 days, which is definitely a record for me. This was very important, because there is currently not a biathlon range in Southern Maine. In the absence of the opportunity to shoot live rounds I have been dryfiring (shooting without bullets) religiously. While it is not as effective as normal rifle training it has given me the opportunity work on the details of my range procedure and really zero in on some of my weaknesses.
My next camp will be from July 30th to August 12th in Jericho, Vermont with US Junior Development coach Algis Shalna. I am excited to work with a new coach for a time, and get back into a camp environment.









Right now Southern Maine is enjoying a killer stretch of summer weather, which is making training very enjoyable. I have also begun taking some online classes, which are proving to be a great counterweight to my training.  

No comments:

Post a Comment